Wednesday, September 28, 2011

In your share, plus a recipe:


Our fall crops are coming on so we again have lettuce and greens. 
  • Roma tomatoes (for sauces)
  • Thyme and margoram
  • Red onion
  • Pepper
  • Baby bok choi (for stir fry)
  • Lettuce
  • Cantaloupe
 My favorite quick tomato sauce:

Saute 1/2 of the red onion in 1/4 cup of olive oil (you can add the chopped green pepper if you like at this point). Add 2-4 cloves of chopped garlic after the onion is soft and fragrant. Also add 1 tbls. of chopped thyme and margoram. When the garlic is fragrant, add all of the chopped tomatoes--should be about 2-3 cups. 
Cook down  the tomato sauce for 45 minute to 1 hour, stirring occasionally until it is not as watery and the tomatoes have started to break down. For a smoother sauce, pulse it in the food processor, or just leave it to keep it chunky. If you want to add meat balls the 45 minute mark is a good time to let them cook in the sauce. My favorite meatball recipe is, of course, on Epicurious--I usually cut this in half and use only elk (or hamburger):
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spaghetti-and-Meatballs-351190
Also I promised to give my aunt Judy's salsa recipe. I receive permission to post it when I was back visiting my family in Colorado this week. It is very close to Seth's Grandma Irma's recipe, who is from Durango, Mexico. That really is the best salsa I have ever tasted, but she would never let me have her recipe! 

2 chopped (roasted either under the broiler or on a grill) green chiles
2 cups of chopped tomatoes (or a 16 oz can)
2 teaspoons of chopped garlic
2 scallions
1 tbls chopped cilantro
1 tbls of fresh lime juice
1 tsp of sea salt (or to taste)
Blend or pulse for about 15 seconds in the blender or food processor. serves about 20 people.


No comments:

Post a Comment